Sir Robert Shirley, born October 20, 1650 in East Sheensurry County, England, was made the first Earl in Ferrers in 1711. He was zealously attached to the Prostestant Sescession and a supporter of the high church principles. Their decendants came to America and settled in Massachusetts. From there they migrated to Virginia and settled in the bend of the James River. John Shirley born in 1776 came to South Carolina and settled in the Abbeville District in 1801.
His son, Obediah was born in 1804, married Jane Armstrong in 1824. She was a daughter of John Armstrong and Isabella Bryson. They settled in Honea Path, in Anderson County. Jane's father had received a royal grant of land on March 2, 1764. The house Obediah built is still standing and is located one half mile west of Honea Path. One end is hewn logs and there are some wrought nails in the house. The hinges with which the doors were swung were hand wrought by an expert blacksmith.
The chimneys were built by Mr. David Moore. They were cut from rock which came from the quarry near the house. Some of the dressed rock are four feet long, sixteen inches wide and eight inches thick.
Obediah Shirley and his wife, Jennie, along with others from Barkers Creek, Broadmouth and Big Creek Baptist Churches, organized the First Baptist Church of Honea Path during the year 1869 with 19 charter members. Obediah was one of the first deacons and was a large land owner, a farmer and was known to give liberally to the church and to the promotion of Christian education.
Obediah had five sons and three daughters. One of his sons, John J. Shirley gave the land on which to build the First Baptist Church and also for the land for the school house, where Watkins Community Center is now located. John J. was a farmer, merchant and also served as Honea Path's first railroad agent and first postmaster. He built the Shirley Hotel in 1859 (which was later purchased by First Baptist Church and is where the bus shed now stands on Shirmadon Drive).
The Obediah Shirley House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.
North and South, WWI.WWII and
Korean Veterans Memorial
This monument is located at the corner of South Main and Greer Street.
Jennie Erwin Library
In 1908, Honea Path was awarded a Carnegie Library, it was the smallest town to receive a library.
Visitors to Honea Path can discover its history by visiting the town's people, its buildings, and the surrounding rural farmlands.
Dogwood Park is located on Ervin Street behind Watkins Community Center.
The South Carolina National Heritage Corridor (SCNHC) was designated by Congress in 1996 as a National Heritage Area (a program of the National Parks Service). Stretching 17 counties and 320 miles across South Carolina, the SCNHC is committed to promoting and preserving the cultural, natural and historic resources of South Carolina. The original fabric quilt belonged to Mayor Lollis Meyer's mother. This wooden painted quilt (seen in the photo above) is hanging on the front of Watkins Community Center between the windows at Town Hall. The quilt was made by Rosemary & Curtis Moore.